IPC/WHMA-A-620, Requirements and Acceptance for Cable and Wire Harness Assemblies, is modeled after IPC-A-610; IPC's most widely used standard with an international reputation as THE source for end product acceptance criteria for consumer and high reliability printed circuit board assemblies.
IPC/WHMA-A-620 is the first industry consensus standard for cable and wire harness fabrication and installation. Classes of products are defined and include criteria for Target, Acceptable, Process Indicator and Defect conditions to support the collection of visual quality acceptability requirements for each class. These criteria are supported by 500 full-color illustrations.
Developed during a three year process by members from 86 user and supplier companies, it represents a consensus among industry leaders. The IPC Wire Harness Acceptability Task Group of the Product Assurance Committee and the Wire Harness Manufacturers' Association Industry Technical Guidelines Committee prepared this standard.
IPC/WHMA-A-620 describes acceptability criteria for crimped, mechanically secured and soldered interconnection and the corresponding lacing/restraining criteria associated with cable and harness assemblies.
It can be used as a standalone document for purchasing product or to support your ISO certification documentation requirements.
How the IPC/WHMA-A-620 Certification Program Works
The IPC/WHMA-A-620 training and certification program has two tiers of instruction. Certified IPC Trainer candidates are sent by their parent companies to receive intensive training and are then certified to provide Application Specialist training.
Certified IPC Trainers will participate in a week-long program that has 32 instructional hours.
• Application Specialist training is modular and training/certification is provided on topics specific to an individuals work requirements.
Some WHMA-A-620 Instructor Training Course Topics
Cable and wire dimensioning, tolerances and preparation
Stamped and formed contacts
Insulation displacement connections
Molding and potting
Marking and labeling
Co-ax and twin-ax assembly
Wire bundle securing
Wire wrap (solderless)
Certification demonstrates commitment to customer requirements and greatly facilitates certification to ISO Certification or other quality assurance initiatives. By having earned this portable credential, you'll receive immediate recognition, legitimacy and value throughout the electronics industry.
All IPC/WHMA-A-620 Certified IPC Trainers receive materials for participating in the A-620 training as well as instructional materials for conducting Application Specialist training.
• A CD-ROM with nearly 500 full color teaching visuals illustrating every aspect of the IPC/WHMA-A-620 document and training information, electronic files of the student handbooks for royalty-free printing, and all reports and forms required for conducting Application Specialist training.
• An Instructor Guide, providing complete instructions for conducting the Application Specialist training and testing
• An IPC/WHMA-A-620 Certified IPC Trainer Student Handbook
• The IPC/WHMA-A-620 Requirements and Acceptance of Cable and Wire Harness Assemblies
• Open and closed book Application Specialist Written Examinations
• IPC certificate of course completion.
Application Specialist training materials, including student handbooks and certificates, may be purchased from IPC only by Certified IPC Trainers and the companies they represent. Certified IPC Trainers may teach the course at any location and set a training fee, if applicable.
The term for an IPC/WHMA-A-620 Certified IPC Trainer is two years. Re-certification training is conducted at STM.
After a CIT successfully completes the course and gains a certification, then the CIT may return to his/her company and is authorized to teach/certify coworkers to the CIS level.